Tomorrow, May 28, is Kyiv Day. Believers honor the memory of Saint Pachomius the Great. There are 217 days left until the New Year.
May 28, 2023 – Sunday. 459th day of the war in Ukraine.
What a church holiday tomorrow, May 28
May 28 in the church calendar – the day of memory of Pachomius the Great. He lived in the 4th century and did a lot of good and pious deeds in relation to the church. He was born in Egypt and turned to Christ at a young age. It was Pachomius who arranged a monastic life for hermits on the banks of the Nile River and himself became an example for them. For this, he is often called the founder of monastic monasteries in Egypt.
What can not be done on this day
- Unmarried girls are not allowed to talk about their dreams and plans.
- It is better not to take change if you buy something, because it will bring misfortune and poverty.
- Do not leave dishes dirty.
Folk signs and traditions for May 28
Among our ancestors there were many interesting omens for this day:
- looked at what day it is today: warm weather to a sunny and pleasant summer;
- it is raining – expect thunderstorms throughout June;
- the sunrise is crimson – there will be many fires in the summer;
- flowers on the juniper indicate that it is time to sow barley;
- abundant ears on the aspen – it will bear good oats.
The people called May 28 Warm Groin. It was believed that from this day the real warmth and summer weather begin. It was during this period that the peasants carried out late sowing of barley and wheat. It was believed that if you hear the chirping of a magpie, there will be money in the family. But for this you need to say special words.
Weather for May 28
Tomorrow, May 28, it will be clear in Kyiv, the appearance of clouds is possible in the evening, without precipitation. It is clear in Lviv, no precipitation is expected. In Kharkiv in the morning, the clouds will disappear and the sky will remain clear, without precipitation. It is gloomy in Odesa, clearing is possible only in the evening, precipitation is not expected.
The air temperature in Kyiv is +21 during the day and +15 at night. In Lviv +20 during the day and +10 at night. In Kharkiv +23 during the day and +16 at night. In Odesa, it is +24 during the day and +18 at night.
Commemorative dates of May 28
Calendar of important events in Ukraine and the world for May 28:
- 1742 – the world’s first indoor swimming pool is opened in London;
- 1830 – US President Andrew Jackson signs the Indian Removal Act;
- 1918 — Armenia and Azerbaijan declare state independence;
- 1923 – US Attorney General declares that women have the right to wear pants wherever and whenever they want;
- 1925 — the First All-Ukrainian Conference on Local History begins in the city of Kharkiv, during which the Ukrainian Committee of Local History was created;
- 1957 – the National Recording Academy is founded in the USA, which presents one of the most prestigious awards in the world of music – “Grammy”;
- 1959 – American scientists carried out a successful launch into space with the return of two monkeys, Able and Baker, on an AM-18 rocket;
- 2009 — the Cultural and Educational Center “Alex Art House” is opened in Kyiv.
Name day: how to name a child born on May 28
What birthdays are tomorrow: Dmytro, Pakhom, Makar, Anastasia.
The talisman of a person born on May 28 is turquoise. An ancient stone that has a sky-blue color. Turquoise has long been considered a lucky stone that carries strong protection against all evil. Therefore, mothers often made charms from this stone for their children.
Born on this day:
- 1860 — the initiator of the mass labor migration of Ukrainians to Canada in the 1890s was Oleskiv Yosyp;
- 1888 — historian, philologist, archivist Olga Havrylivna Vodolazchenko;
- 1971 — Ukrainian historian, poet, public and political activist Pavlo Pavlovych Gai-Nizhnyk;
- 1972 – Ukrainian rock singer and showman, leader of the band “Tartak” Oleksandr Yevhenovich Polozhinsky.
What a day tomorrow is in Ukraine and the world
May 28 is celebrated in Ukraine All-Ukrainian Day of Local Studies. The initiators of the creation of the professional holiday were representatives of the National Union of Local History of Ukraine (NSKU). The official date was introduced during the fourth congress of this organization, which took place in 2017. The day was not chosen by chance. After all, it was on May 28, 1925 that the First All-Ukrainian regional history conference took place. The event took place in Kharkiv and during the conference the Committee of Local History of Ukraine was opened.
Also on May 28 International Day of Action for Women’s Health. On this day in 1957, Costa Rica held an International Conference on Women’s Reproductive Health. During it, the participants decided to create a separate day when attention will be drawn to a woman’s right to reproductive and sexual health and its subsequent protection.
And on May 28 Menstrual Hygiene Day. The date was created by WASH United, a non-governmental organization that advocates for sanitation around the world. In 2013, the organization conducted a 28-day information campaign on the topic of menstrual hygiene. Due to the duration of the campaign, the 28th was chosen for the celebration. And the 5th month of the year is a symbol of five-day menstruation.
May 28 Day of Kyiv. It falls annually on the last Sunday of May. The capital of Ukraine has a long and eventful history. Its origins are hidden in the gray of antiquity. Stone and bone tools, as well as the remains of primitive buildings, were found on the territory of the modern city. All this indicates that the first human settlements appeared here even before the Late Paleolithic era (approximately 40-15 thousand years BC).
The year 482 is considered to be the recognized date of foundation of Kyiv as a city. However, there are still disputes about this. Some hold a different opinion and believe that the capital of Ukraine was created in the 6th – 7th centuries. According to the “Tale of Bygone Years” (chronology of the 12th century), the city was founded by three brothers who were the leaders of the Polyan tribe (Kiy, Chek and Horiv), as well as their sister Lybidya. Each formed a small settlement on the hills, which later merged into one city. He was named after his older brother, Kyiv.