The Belgian Ministry of Defense and its intelligence agencies have launched an investigation into the possible use of Belgian-made rifles by pro-Ukrainian forces to fight Russian troops on Russia’s western border and are waiting for an explanation from Ukraine about what happened. This was announced by the Prime Minister of Belgium, Alexander de Croo, on the air of the Belgian radio station Radio 1.
“Our Ministry of Defense and its intelligence agencies have launched an investigation and are asking for information to determine exactly what happened. European weapons are supplied to Ukraine on the condition that they will be used on Ukrainian territory for the purpose of defending this territory. And we have strict control to make sure that this is the case,” said the Prime Minister of Belgium.
On Saturday, The Washington Post reported that the anti-Kremlin fighters who carried out last month cross-border attack from Ukraine to Russia’s Belgorod region, used tactical vehicles provided to Ukraine by the US and Poland, and had rifles made in Belgium and the Czech Republic.
In the United States, commenting on the possible use of American weapons on the territory of Russia, they said that they were monitoring the information and that they did not approve of strikes inside the Russian Federation. At the same time, the USA emphasized that it was up to Ukraine how to conduct the war.
At the end of May, several dozen fighters who declared their affiliation to the “Russian Volunteer Corps” and the “Freedom of Russia” legion reported that they had entered the territory of the Graivoronsky District of the Belgorod Region of Russia. They reported on the capture of the Russian border post and stay in several settlements of the city district. During these raids, the RDC across the border in Kyiv declared that Ukraine has no direct relationship with themsince the “Russian Volunteer Corps” is not part of its Armed Forces and consists of Russian citizens.
Fighters of the “Russian Volunteer Corps” and the Legion of “Freedom of Russia” conducted another raid in the Belgorod region on June 4 and reportedly continue to operate near the border settlement Shebekino.
Before that, on the morning of June 1, the fighters of these Russian volunteer formations announced about a new raid on the territory of the Russian Federation. Subsequently, the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation reported on a “failed invasion attempt” in the Belgorod region.