Un sexton was killed and several people injured, including a priest, in a stabbing attack on Wednesday evening January 25 in a church in Algeciras, in the south of theSpain, authorities said. The attack occurred “shortly before 8:00 p.m.” in the church of San Isidro in Algeciras, said the interior ministry and not in that of San Lorenzo, as he had initially indicated by mistake. One person was killed outside the church and one injured inside the church, the ministry added. The prosecution announced that an investigation was opened for alleged acts of terrorism.
The man, who was killed outside the church, was ” the sacristan of Nuestra Señora de La Palma, a church in which the assailant had also entered » and which is located a few minutes walk from San Isidro, detailed the ministry, adding that other people had been injured. According to a police source, one of the injured is a seriously injured priest. Still according to this source, the assailant was dressed in a djellaba and ” shouted something » at the time of the attack.
” Terrible and unbearable »
Local media, based on testimonies, indicate that he was armed with a machete with which he killed the sexton. In a video released by the authorities, we see the assailant from behind, black pants and a black and white gray hoodie. Handcuffed, he walks in socks in a corridor, framed by two police officers.
” Facts are analyzed and investigated. It is not possible at this time to determine the nature of the attack », assured the Ministry of the Interior. Contacted byAFPthe prosecution announced for its part that an investigation had been opened for ” alleged acts of terrorism ». It will be conducted by a judge from the National Audience, the court in charge of terrorism cases.
Juanma Moreno, president of the Andalusia region, qualified on Twitter this attack of ” terrible and unbearable ». ” We murdered a sexton and injured at least one priest »he denounced, while calling for the ” caution » while a ” investigation is ongoing ». The leader of the Popular Party, the main formation of the right-wing opposition, Alberto Núñez Feijóo, said he ” appalled by the attacks tonight in Algeciras ».
The last attacks perpetrated in Spain date back to August 2017, when two attacks by a jihadist cell left 16 dead and 140 injured on the avenue des Ramblas in Barcelona and in the seaside resort of Cambrils. They had been claimed by the Islamic State organization. The three survivors of this cell had been sentenced to terms of eight, 46 and 53 years in prison.