Several local businesses have opened their doors for Black Friday this year, and hope to find a second wind from Small Business Saturday.
COLUMBIA, SC — Columbia’s “Small Business Center” is looking forward to Small Business Saturday. Local store owners in Five Points hope to see an increase in sales.
Sid and Nancy is a clothing store on Saluda Avenue that has chosen to keep its doors open for Black Friday. Manager Megan Yelton says she expects their preparation to pay off.
“We had a good day today, and I hope tomorrow will be even better,” Yelton said with a smile.
Scoopy DooShop Gelato is just down the street and shares the same feeling. Owner Shane McCrossin says there seems to be more pressure to spend locally, which he likes to see.
“There’s definitely a craze here in Columbia for local shopping, I feel like people are really tapping into that in this city,” McCrossin said. “I want to shop local, I try to keep it in the neighborhood because I think it’s important for any community to help run their community wheels.”
According to Small Business AdministrationU.S. consumers who shopped at local businesses and restaurants on Saturday reached an estimated $23.3 billion, according to last year’s Small Business Consumer Survey.
With local store campaigns becoming increasingly popular on social media, Five Points stores are hoping for a boost.
However, the owner of The Gourmet ShopAmy Beth Franks, who runs the gourmet shop says she anticipates a bit of a lull.
“I think it’s tough for our market, and I’ve always had this feedback that it’s competing with the Clemson game against Carolina. We understand that people won’t necessarily go shopping, but there will always be people who will shop, so we like to prepare by having all of our holiday and seasonal inventory in place,” Franks explained.
Despite the competition with big game, these businesses are all just hoping to get a boost from opening on Fridays and Saturdays and encouraging everyone to get out and shop.
SATURDAY DEALS FOR SMALL BUSINESS IN 5 POINTS:
- 2G’s – Save an extra 25% – 50% off our already discounted prices ALL STORE | FREE GIFT WRAPPING 11/26
- Anton & Maxine, LLC – Small Business Saturday 10% off clothing available in the studio store 11/26
- Bluetile Skateboards – Sale shoes will be 3 pairs for $100!!! Bluetile branded products will be 20% off on 11/26
- Raven – Small Business Saturday offering 20% off in-store and online plus 50% off all our sale items 11/26
- DRIP & Scoopy-Doo! – We will be offering 10% off gift cards from
Black Friday until December 24
- Flying Biscuit – Small Business Saturday Special 11/26 Bacons & Eggs Breakfast and a mimosa for just $12
- Good for Sole – Special sales throughout the store with drinks and light bites 11/26
- Oops! Co. – Holiday Season Deals & Giveaways Every Friday
- Papa Jazz – Limited Edition Vinyl Available Black Friday 11/25
- Publico Five Points is bringing back Santa’s Pub, Cola’s favorite holiday pop-up!
Full of Christmas cheer, holiday cocktails, decorations, music, movies and more! Come visit us this season!
- Resale – 15% off all full-priced items, including designer items
25/11, 26/11 and 27/11
- Sid & Nancy – 15% off all full price items on 11/25, 11/26 and 11/27
- Sunrise Artisan Bath and Body – 20% off your purchase on Small Business Saturday 11/26 – 20% off your purchase December 3-4 | Free hot chocolate and cookies with purchase
- Uniquely MC – 10% off Small Business Saturday 11/26
- Boldly Colored Cut Style – offering $10 for any service from NOW to
28/02/2023, valid only once per customer
- Cloakroom – 30% off the entire weekend of November 25-27
Extended hours on Black Friday — 9am-7pm