As part of an editorial special project “TOP from 032.ua.”We offer you to view a selection of luxurious passages of Lviv.
Passages in Lviv were quite popular among the inhabitants in the XIX – XX centuries. There you could buy the necessary things, delicacies, drink coffee, chat, and some of them had a cinema. It’s like in our time to walk and relax in the mall. The correspondent of 032.ua has created a selection of passages that operated in the city and offers to get acquainted.
Passage of Andreolli
Between 1765 and 1778, a four-story townhouse with an inner courtyard was built on Rynok Square 29, ending in an arched passage to 12 Teatralna Street. In 1803, the building was owned by Domenico Andreolli, who came to Lviv from Switzerland. In the townhouse he opened one of the first confectioneries in the city, and later other shops began to appear next to it and thus formed a small market. Then this passage was named – the passage of Andreolli.
The townhouse was owned by the Andreolli family for about 70 years. One story is known about the owner. He once packed an order and accidentally used a piece of paper where his son wrote the words to encourage his father: “You are the best and do a good deed.” The next day, the customer who received this order came with words of gratitude. After this incident, such a note, written by the boy, began to be attached to all orders.
In 1830 the confectionery was inherited by his brother Ehrbar Andreolli, but then the confectionery finally fell into disrepair. Forty years later, the house and part of the confectionery were bought by the Erbar family, who ran the ancient confectionery until the end of the 19th century. Nowadays, shopping malls and cafes operate in this passage.
Passage of Andreoli
Passage of Andreoli
The Gaussman Passage was created in 1893-1895 by the owner of the Grand Hotel, Ephraim Gaussman. The entrance to the passage was through the hotel gate. The passage was open and had one exit on the modern streets of Doroshenko and Sichovy Striltsiv.
In 1942, the occupation authorities renamed the passage Durkhlyas, but later returned the historical name – Gaussman’s passage. In Soviet times, it was an ordinary checkpoint where cakes were sold. In 1992, the driveway was renamed Kryva Lypa, which originates from the ancient linden tree that grows there.
In 1896, the first film screening in Lviv, which lasted several minutes, took place in a room on the 2nd floor of the Gaussman passage above the photo studio owned by Martin Appel. There were film screenings approximately only for a month, they were shown from 10 am to 9 pm.
Nowadays, the Kryva Lypa driveway has been actively built up and reconstructed. In particular, repair work was carried out in 2009. Currently, there are many catering establishments. This trip serves an entertaining and recreational function. The legendary linden tree still stands in the center of the road.
Gaussman Passage, Photo: photo-lviv.in.ua
The Feller Passage was also in the city center. The entrance to it was from the modern Svobody Avenue, 35 and connected this street with Nalyvayka Street. The shops in the passage were on the first floors of residential buildings. In particular, a paper shop, cloth warehouses, textiles and a transport bureau.
In 1908-1909 the passage was rebuilt, then it received its current appearance. Part of the passage on Tiktor Street was destroyed during World War II. In the 1970s, a boiler house was built on the site.
Feller Passage, Photo: photo-lviv.in.ua
Passage of Nicholas
Mikolyash Passage is a crosswalk that existed in Lviv between Kopernyka Street and the modern Mykola Voronoho Street with a shopping gallery. This passage was built in 1898-1901 by a construction company designed by Ivan Levynsky and Alfred Zakharevich.
Between 1901 and 1939, the passage housed a cinema with various names and owners throughout its history, including Urania, Sinefon, Kuhar, and Ton. From 1912, the Lux cinema operated next to it. Later, a new one called “Consolation” was opened in its place, which operated until 1941. There were also cafes, shops and offices of various companies in the passage.
The passage was destroyed in 1939 as a result of the bombing of Lviv by planes.
Passage of Nicholas
Passage of Nicholas
In 1912-1914, a four-storey Gruner residential building was built on Grigorenko Square in Lviv. There were elite apartments, and on the ground floor – spacious commercial premises and a movie theater. This building became part of the complex of a new shopping arcade that connected the square with the neighboring Mentsynskoho Street.
In the Gruner tenement house there was a cinema “Marysenka”, for which in 1928 a foyer was completed. In 1941, the State Theater of Miniatures also operated in the cinema. After the Second World War, the large apartments of the former townhouse were redesigned. In Soviet times, the commercial premises on the ground floor were occupied by the aviation agency of the state airline.
From 1944 to 1948, the building housed the Moscow Cinema, which was renamed the Pioneer Children’s Film Cinema in 1948, and operated under this name until the late 1980s. Currently, the Voskresinnia Theater operates in the premises of the pre-war Marysenka Cinema and the post-war Pioneer Cinema.
The passage of Abram and Jacob Herman was located on Panteleimon Kulish Street between houses №23 and №25. Initially, there were built shopping galleries, which eventually merged into a passage. The passage was closed by the Colosseum Theater, which was built in 1898 – 1900 by architect Michal Fechter.
After the First World War, trade in the passage gradually declined. This is due to the economic crisis, as well as two powerful competing markets. During the Second World War, the passage was destroyed, the building of the “Colosseum” was destroyed. In the postwar years, its remains were rebuilt into factory and warehouse space.
Germanov Passage, Photo: photo-lviv.in.ua
Read also: Venetiyska, Bandinelli, “Under the Deer”: TOP townhouses on Rynok Square in Lviv, – PHOTOS
Photo on the main: photo-lviv.in.ua